Schools of Social Work | Scholarship Resources | Links of Interest
Greetings social work students (and prospective social work students) across the state of Georgia! We're glad you're here! You are the future of our profession and a very important part of NASW. Through your membership, you are sending a strong message of commitment to the profession you have chosen. We're glad you chose social work and we're glad you are choosing to belong to NASW. We hope you have already taken advantage of the low student membership rates and become a member of NASW and the Georgia Chapter. If you are not a member of NASW, click here for information about joining.
We hope you will let us know how we are doing because we want this student page to be for and about you! Please email us with your comments or suggestions and visit us often.
Are students represented on the NASW-Georgia Board of Directors?
Yes they are! Every year, one BSW student representative and one MSW student representative are elected by the general membership to bring the views and interests of social work students to the Georgia Chapter Board of Directors. The student representatives for 2011-2012 are Julie Martin, MSW student at Valdosta State University and Shaina Henry, BSW student at Georgia State University. They attend Board meetings throughout the year and help plan Student Lobby Day. They need to hear from you! They were elected to represent YOU and the things that are important to you. Drop them a line if there's something on your mind.
Master's Examination Study Guide
In partnership with Ventajas, LLC, NASW-GA offers discounted study guides for those preparing to take the ASWB Masters level exam for licensure. Content includes: The Examination: What You Must Know; Essential Preparation Content; Practice Exam with Keys and Explanation. Click here to download an order form.
NASW-GA Student Lobby Day 2013
What an amazing turnout - EVERY school of Social Work in Georgia was represented at our 14th Annual Student Lobby Day! Nearly 500 attendees experienced a day packed with presentations on topics relevant to social work practice. It was a 'progressive' event which started at the Fulton County Government Building, then moved to the Event Loft at Underground Atlanta before concluding at the State Capitol. If you attended Student Lobby Day 2013, please click here to give feedback.
Read the welcome letter from Governor Deal.
Click here to view the Photo Gallery
Visit the Legislative & Social Action section of our website to view the PowerPoint presentations and more.
Schools of Social Work in Georgia
MSW Programs (CSWE Accredited)
BSW Programs (CSWE Accredited)
- NASW Foundation Scholarships & Fellowships offered by NASW.
- Benjamin A. Gilman Inernational Scholarship Program Provides awards of up to $5,000 for U.S. citizen undergraduate students at two- and four-year institutions to participate in study abroad programs of up to one academic year
- College Connection Scholarships A comprehensive scholarship database
- CollegeNet Information and web links to financial aid & scholarship funds; some direct links to online applications
- Council on Graduate Schools Information and links to resources for choosing a graduate school and links to graduate school organizations
- Fastweb Information on over 600,000 scholarships, grants & fellowships
- FundsNet Information and web links to financial aid & scholarship funds
- Grants for Individuals Information on Graduate scholarships, fellowships, and loans
- Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation A merit-based grant awarded to undergraduate students, who wish financial support to attend graduate or professional school in preparation for careers in government, the non-profit sector or elsewhere in public service
- Merit Money Specializing in merit scholarships
- Peterson's A comprehensive education resource
- Scholarship Scams Warnings about scholarship fraud from the Federal Trade Commission
Other Links of Interest to Students
- About Social Work Comprehensive site for jobs, students and those interested in contemporary issues.
- Council on Social Work Education Information on Accreditation, Frequently Asked Questions, Programs & Services, Searchable Directory of Social Work Degree Programs with Web Links, and Links of Interest to Social Workers.
- New Social Worker A national magazine devoted especially to social work students and recent graduates. Features include Social Work Education Directory, Guide to Selecting an MSW Program
- Jobs Page Message Board and Social Work Careers Chat Room. The New Social Worker also seeks social workers and social work students to contribute articles, poetry, news, and photos for their cover. If you have a special photo of members of your school's social work club working on a special project or a photo that depicts social workers in action, send it in!
- NASW Press Social Work Career Development: A Handbook for Job Hunting and Career Planning, 2nd Edition, Carol Nesslein Doelling Updated to respond to changes in the job market and the profession since the best-selling first edition, this unique handbook addresses in detail the career management and job search needs of social workers across job functions, fields, or degree levels, including self-assessment exercises, strategies for researching the job market and networking, details on resumes, curriculum vitae, and portfolios; tips on selecting master's and doctoral programs, and much more. Price: $49.99
- Salary.com Resource for salary data for thousands of job titles by location.
Links are provided for informational purposes only. NASW/GA does not monitor accuracy or contents of these sites.
Please advise if you find a site that is no longer in operation. We welcome your suggestions for additional links.