Cultural Diversity and Cultural Competence Training
Time & Location
About the Event
Date: May 20, 2021
Topic: Cultural Diversity and Cultural Competence Training: Key things Practitioners Need to know and do to Develop Culturally Sensitive Competencies and to Prevent Barriers to Treatment
Presenter: Dr. Lucy R. Cannon, LCSW, CCDP-D, MATS
CEs Offered: 1 Ethics and 5 Core Hours
Cost: NASW/NASW-GA Member - $50.00 | Non-Member - $60.00 | Students - $40.00 (Students must provide Name of School and Valid Student ID# when registering)
Our world is made up of diverse populations of people from various ethnic groups that interact with each other in school, work, and other environmental settings. It is imperative that we understand each other’s values, beliefs, and life styles as we communicate and develop meaningful relationships with each other. It is necessary that we understand what cultural diversity is and how to develop and utilize cultural competencies in the workplace and in our communities. According to Lombardo, “Cultural diversity (also known as multiculturalism) is a group of diverse individuals from different cultures or societies. Usually, cultural diversity takes into account language, religion, race, sexual orientation, gender, age and ethnicity.” While we must understand our biases, and lack of knowledge, we must learn effective ways to communicate with ethnic groups. It is essential that we as practitioners in the mental health and healthcare fields develop cultural competences to effectively treat and meet the needs of the diverse clients we serve.
The use of youtube videos, cultural sensitivity and cultural competencies questionnaires, and group activities will be utilized to help participants better understand the necessity of developing cultural competency skills when working with diverse ethnic groups in the workplace.
The Workshop will focus on the following Goals and Objectives:
· Participants will learn and understand the definitions of cultural diversity and cultural competence.
-Ethics (Cultural Competence)
· To understand general aspects of diversity from a race, religion, language ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, and age perspectives.
· To become familiar with Cultural Sensitivity & Diversity (Video)/Group Discussion
· Participants will learn how cultural bias and lack of sensitivity to others cultural backgrounds and experiences impact the therapeutic relationship and treatment. (Cultural Competency Questionnaire)
· Participants will have an understanding of common verbal and nonverbal communication/symbols of various ethnic groups.
· Necessary skills needed to further develop a sensitive attitude and behaviors when working with various ethnic groups.
· To identify and understand the Stages of Cultural Competence.
· Participants will learn key cultural competence skills needed to work with various ethnic groups in healthcare settings.
- NASWGA/NASW Member$35$350$0